Monday, February 25, 2013

Downton Abbey. Need I Say More?

Matthew Crawley.

Right in the feels, huh?

I am not a media crier. I have never shed real tears while reading or watching anything. I do tear up every once in a while, but it has to be good to make that happen.

Let's just say Downton has been that good a few times.

First Sybil. Poor innocent, independent Sybil. I adored her. She was brave and spunky. Maybe I see some of myself in her. Yeah, probably. If I lived in the 20's I would totally root for pants.

But then they killed Matthew. MATTHEW. He is the glue that holds Downton together! He made himself a part of the family when they were hesitant about him being the heir. He was the first to accept Tom, he supports Edith with her writing, he loves Mary regardless of her spiteful nature.

And now he's dead.

When Matthew was lying there, I freaked. I could not believe that he was dead. The author in me was saying,

It's dumb to have him be dead. It's too similar to the Sybil story line of "have a baby, then kill off a parent." 

No, the author in me was convinced he was alive.

But the reasonable part of me was saying, 

His head is bleeding, his eyes are vacantly staring. He's gone.

No. No, no, no, no.

I told my mom she had to write me a letter on my mission when Downton started up again just to tell me if he really was dead. I needed at least that much closure before not seeing these beloved characters for 18 months.

But then my internet-savvy sister showed me this interview, and The Oregonian started printing reviews and interviews too. 

The writers aren't cruel people after all. Dan Stevens (he plays Matthew) is done. He didn't want to renew his contract with Downton. 

Okay. Fine. I can accept that he has a right to his life. I guess. 

But I'm going to miss Matthew so, SO much. I love him. 

But I can accept characters dying when it's because the actors were through. Apparently that's why Sybil died too. And also O'Brien is out. 

But I'm fine with that last one.

Sigh. I love these characters. I have a friend who I discuss Downton with (I call him my "Downton Friend") via FB. He is a sneaky mom and watched season 3 before it aired in the U.S. I feel like because of this he has a broader and better perspective and I sort of take his thoughts on Downton as truths. But we were both sad over Matthew's tragic death. 

At least I had someone to rant and mourn with. 

And my FB friends know me so well. This showed up on my wall:


And of course I posted it on Downton Friend's wall.

Basically I love Downton. It is a fantastic show. I'll miss it while I'm in Georgia.



Also I love crossovers. Enjoy Downton's version of 1D's What Makes You Beautiful:


Flabbergasted.






No comments:

Post a Comment